The land was originally part of the Denver, South Park and Pacific Narrow Gauge Railroad (later Colorado and Southern RR) and nothing remained in Pine Grove except original and visible narrow gauge rail beds. The railroad arrived in Pine Grove in 1878 and the town grew in this sunny wide spot of the river valley. The town was formed in 1886 when Charles and Nancy Dake visited and fell in love with the beauty of the area. Extra helper engines, coal chutes, a wye and train depot were important parts of that railroad system in Pine Grove. The town became a tourist destination in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Fish trains came from Denver and many folks camped and fished along the steep Platte Canon until 1937 when the train system shut down.
In 1973, The North Fork National Historic District (NFNHD) was created and placed in the National Registry of Historic Places. Pine Grove anchors the west side of the district while the South Platte Hotel is on the east part of the district. The area was recognized for its contribution to transportation, agriculture, commerce and tourism. This history park complements other recent improvements to NFNHD such as the Pine Grove Community Center, the Pine Grove Cemetery and the Westall Monument. Other restoration projects in the historic district include the Blue Jay Inn and the South Platte Hotel.
The Pine Grove History Park is continuing to improve. Previously, volunteers re-built the narrow-gauge tracks and two rail cars were donated and placed on the tracks; the cars have been painted and re-lettered. A fenced parking area has been created. Two park benches and a picnic table are part of the park.
In 2023, volunteers plan to place educational signs and a main sign in the park. Some landscaping and flower beds will be planted.
The Pine-Elk Creek Improvement Association would like to sincerely thank the people and organizations that have been instrumental in bringing the Pine Grove History Park to life.
Donors / Helpers
|South Platte Enhancement Board||Tom and Denise Klinger||Jason Midyette|
|The Denver Foundation||Clifford Beem, attorney||Dave Rainey|
|Coalition for the Upper South Platte||June Wegener, realtor||Bob and Patty McIlvaine|
|Rocky Mountain Railroad Historical Foundation/ Rocky Mt. Railroad Club||Deborah Andrews, historical architect; former Jefferson Cty. Historical Commission chairwoman||Michael Sahlin|
|Colorado Railroad Museum||Fred Lantz, traffic designer||Russ Wilsey|
|Jefferson County Commissioners||Andrew Todd||Larry Mizner|
|Jefferson County Planning and Zoning||Larry and Shelly Means||Steve Ward|
|Jefferson County Historical Commission||Jim McCoy||Debera Johnson|
|Jeffco Open Space||Earl Boyer||Conifer Excavating|
|SRC Excavation||Michelle Rache, Denver Water Comm. Outreach||Stacy Miller, professional painter|
|Argyle Mining CO||Cliff and Laurie Baumer||Mr. Lindsay Ashby|
|Howard and Tricia McCarthy||Leonard and Linda Walmsley||Ronnie Newman|
|Mr. Bob Schope, president, Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad Historical Society||John Hallinan, descendant of C&S railroaders|
Park Landscape Workers
|Joan MacDonald||Eileen Dukes||Ann Thran|
|Jen Reilly||Deb Johnson||Nancy Kaskel|
|Mary Harris||Patty Mcilvaine||Brandy Aagenes|
|Dolores Synovac||James Synovac||Bethany Cowell|
|Ashley Christiansen||Kari Tornow||Kristin Reffett|
|Carly Martin||Shelly Means||Russ Wilsey|
|Todd Hering||John Graves||Larry Mizner|